Re: Options for using LilyPond in an Android app

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Options for using LilyPond in an Android app
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 10:54:18 +0100

On 30/07/16 21:01, Nathan Ho wrote:
> On 2016-07-30 05:33, Barton Stanley wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I've been asked by a friend to create a mobile app that displays sheet
>> music in an alternative notation.  While it would be a blast to figure
>> out how to do the engraving from scratch myself, I'd like to show
>> progress quickly so I am looking at what my options are.  LilyPond
>> appears to be the most comprehensive system but it does not appear to
>> be available for iOS or Android.
>> What are my options for using LilyPond in an Android app?
>> BTW, I am a highly skilled developer with over 30 years of experience.
>>  If using LilyPond in Android will require some highly technical work,
>> I am fully capable to take on the challenge.
>> Barton
>
> If bad or absent Internet connectivity is not a concern, I suggest you
> go with some kind of SaaS approach.

What if cost is a concern? All these apps that assume free and easy
internet access are an absolute pain - I generally wouldn't touch an app
of that sort. (And I gather mobile plans are a lot cheaper here than in
America - a minimal contract over here is £5/pm or less ($7?). I pay
£12.50/pm including a free mid-range phone and that's more than enough
for me. Including a phone my wife pays £7.50.

Bearing in mind I live on the edge of London (the largest city in the
world?) and I *regularly* have connectivity problems on my phone. Both
over the phone network, and over home broadband ...

Cheers,
Wol