Re: GSoC projects list

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: GSoC projects list
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 09:04:45 +0100

Am 06.02.2017 um 08:48 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
>> So essentially per now we will have only 4/5 projects left:
>>
>>   * Improving internal chord structure
>>   * Adopting SMuFL
>>   * Adding glyph variants
>>   * openLilyLib testing and documentation
>>
>> I find this list quite disappointing, and I'm afraid it won't be
>> terribly attractive to potential students. So I strongly encourage
>> anybody to suggest further projects, preferably together with a
>> pledge to mentor them.
> Some ideas, without being able to mentor them.
>
> . Braille support

That would be cool. But of course this would require a very specific
mentoring skill set.

> . a figured bass mode similar to (jazz) chord mode to display figured
>   bass as chords

What do you mean exactly? Determining the chord name from the figures
and displaying it?
Carl, could that be merged into the chord structure project?

> . Developing and implementing an OpenType Scheme API.

Do you mean a way to access the extended font features from LilyPond, so
I can get real caps or swash alternates etc.? Or is there even more to it?

Abraham, do you think you'd be capable of mentoring such a project?

@everybody: it's no problem to be listed on multiple projects. In the
end you're not even allowed to actually mentor two projects, so there's
no risk of being talked into eventually ;-)

Urs

--
address@hidden
https://openlilylib.org