Re: LilyDev4 and Guile2.2 ?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: LilyDev4 and Guile2.2 ?
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 20:23:31 +0200

> Thanks Federico.  I'm debating whether to learn libvirt or take the LilyDev4
> upgrade to Debian9 / Guile2.2 path...
>
> When looking at this before I tried "Virtual Machine Manager"
> https://virt-manager.org/  but it didn't work for me (can't remember why
> now, I didn't go too far into it...).  So maybe I should just learn to use
> libvirt directly.
>
> On the one hand VirtualBox is the path of least resistance and would
> minimize time spent on tooling (at least in short run).  On the other hand
> since you use libvirt, switching to that is probably better over the
> long-term.
>
> -Paul

Hi Paul,

meanwhile I do most on my host, not in the VB.

I compiled guile-1.8 and guile-2.0.14 from the released tarball and
2.2.0 from the guile-repository.
Once compiled it's pretty unexpensive to do 'make install' on the
guile-version you wish.

Also, I have three times the lilypond-repository, each compiled with a
different guile-version.

So I can check quickly whatever I need with different versions of
lilypond/guile.

Probably not the way for you, but very convenient in my eyes.

Cheers,
  Harm