Re: No more releases from master branch...

From: James
Subject: Re: No more releases from master branch...
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 07:51:46 +0100

David,

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 22:25:38 +0200
David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ok, I've started sorting out stable and master branch and pushed some
> 2.21-change on top of some already 2.21-only changes in master.

As I cannot remember what we did in the last fork to stable, I assume I
just keep testing on current master and pushing to 'staging' as normal.

I also assume that I don't need to do anything special with regard to
'Patchy' (that just merges staging and master)?

> The next changes I'd want to push require convert-ly rules.  Those
> rules have to be for 2.21.0 to avoid clashing with any work/fixes we
> may still be making on the stable branch.  This means that we should
> stop releasing from master until 2.20.0 has been released from the
> stable/2.20 branch.  The stable/2.20 branch is currently wired for
> making the next release as 2.19.80.  I don't know how many 2.19
> releases we will actually need.  I hope not more than a few until we
> are reasonably sure 2.20 can be released without major backlash.
>
> What should be done in stable/2.20?
>
> Documentation/changes.tely should be reorganized: it is currently in
> chronological order which does not make sense for the stable release.
> It should be organized topically.

I'll start a tracker and try to start work on that tonight.

> We want some assurance that recent
> changes did not come with big followup problems.  And we want the
> translation teams to have a chance of catching up to the current
> state.

Anything else, as Patch Meister, that I should care about?

James