Re: No more releases from master branch...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: No more releases from master branch...
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 09:21:03 +0200

James <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 22:25:38 +0200
> David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Ok, I've started sorting out stable and master branch and pushed some
>> 2.21-change on top of some already 2.21-only changes in master.
>
> As I cannot remember what we did in the last fork to stable, I assume I
> just keep testing on current master and pushing to 'staging' as normal.
>
> I also assume that I don't need to do anything special with regard to
> 'Patchy' (that just merges staging and master)?

For now that's all, yes.  I don't think we had a staging/master
mechanism in place for stable.

>> The next changes I'd want to push require convert-ly rules.  Those
>> rules have to be for 2.21.0 to avoid clashing with any work/fixes we
>> may still be making on the stable branch.  This means that we should
>> stop releasing from master until 2.20.0 has been released from the
>> stable/2.20 branch.  The stable/2.20 branch is currently wired for
>> making the next release as 2.19.80.  I don't know how many 2.19
>> releases we will actually need.  I hope not more than a few until we
>> are reasonably sure 2.20 can be released without major backlash.

If we can agree on stopping unstable releases right now (it just makes
version management less of a headache), I'll push outstanding matter to
the unstable branch.

>> What should be done in stable/2.20?
>>
>> Documentation/changes.tely should be reorganized: it is currently in
>> chronological order which does not make sense for the stable release.
>> It should be organized topically.
>
> I'll start a tracker and try to start work on that tonight.

That would be great.  Maybe the version in the stable/2.16 branch can be
a bit of a guide.

>> We want some assurance that recent changes did not come with big
>> followup problems.  And we want the translation teams to have a
>> chance of catching up to the current state.
>>

> Anything else, as Patch Meister, that I should care about?

Can't think of anything right now.