Re: Allura/SourceForge to Gitlab migration

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Allura/SourceForge to Gitlab migration
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 11:31:13 -0500

On 4/9/2018 11:06 AM, Federico Bruni wrote:
This is just a call for all contributors who are not quite satisfied with current setup and think that moving to Gitlab "one day™" might be an improvement.

Do you want the discussion limited to just the Gitlab proposal, or expanded to the larger workflow of "how patches get to master?" Because, I think questions like Rietveld vs Gerrit-or-something will naturally arise here. I've been taking notes on possibilities for that, but wasn't planning on proposing anything yet due to lack of contributor experience. (Only 1 patch ever.)

I think there is room for improvement on the current integration between issue tracker, code review, and repositories. From past discussions in this area, it's clear that the current major code contributors are making the current setup work for them. Having development processes getting "re-imagined" frequently is the opposite of what they want. In order to win their support, any changes should cause as little friction as possible, and be very "durable," as in "this proposed change shouldn't upset things very much, and it should then work fine for the next 10 years."
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA