Re: Error compiling Lilypond 2.19.81

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Error compiling Lilypond 2.19.81
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 20:56:43 -0500

On 4/11/2018 8:12 PM, Peter Engelbert wrote:
Perhaps it is wacky to install from the repository from an earlier version of Debian?  Is that unusual?

As long as it does what you want, that's the main thing.

I did once wreck a Linux install by adding repositories at random to Debian APT's sources.list file. That's what some website SAID to do... Suddenly I realized that my Debian system had become about 50% Ubuntu.

And it stopped doing what I wanted.

I'm fairly new to Linux though i have some background in programming, and I don't fully understand package management.

Been using Debian occasionally since Version 3 somewhere. I've learned some things, but won't claim to know much yet.

It looks like Debian does have ARM packages for LilyPond 2.19.81, although I don't know which ARM your Raspberry Pi needs. (Someday I want to get me one of those.)

<https://packages.debian.org/experimental/lilypond>

No idea how that would turn out.

And if you haven't already seen it, the LilyPond Contributor's Guide has good step-by-step instructions for compiling from source.

<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/compiling>
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA