Re: Clarify notation for slurs and beams (issue 343060043 by address@hid

From: Carl . D . Sorensen
Subject: Re: Clarify notation for slurs and beams (issue 343060043 by address@hidden)
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 19:47:20 -0700

According to parser.yy:

In line 3259, a post_event is either:

1) post_event_nofinger, or
2) '-' plus a fingering

In line 3200, a post_event_nofinger is either

1) direction_less_event
2) script_dir plus a music_function
3,4 ) Lyric hyphen or lyric extender (Not relevant to this discussion).
5) script_dir plus a direction_reqd_event
6) script_dir plus a direction_less_event
7) '^' plus fingering
8) '_' plus fingering

In line 3275, a direction_less_event is either
1) string_number_event
2) tremolo
3)event_function_event

In line 3288, a direction_reqd_event is either
1) gen_text_def
2) script_abbreviation

In line 3387, a gen_text_def is either
1) full_markup
2) STRING
3) SYMBOL
4) embedded_scm

In line 3413, a fingering is
1) UNSIGNED

The way I read this, NR 5.4.2 is exactly right.  A direction indicator
is required for
1) markups (gen_text_def case 1)
2) strings (gen_text_def case 2)
3) abbreviated forms of articulations (script_abbreviation)
4) fingerings (post_event case 2, direction_less_event case 7,
direction_less_event case 8)
5) \tweak or \tag (I'm not sure about this, but I think it's
gen_text_def case 4)

Given this, I don't think we should say that '-' is what we use to
insert post_events.

I am of the opinion that we should not include '-' as a specific element
in this discussion.  I think it should say as-is.

Thanks,

Carl

https://codereview.appspot.com/343060043/