Re: GUB

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GUB
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 10:29:55 +0200

Knut Petersen <address@hidden> writes:

> I try to build GUB on an opensuse Tumbleweed system as this seems to
> be necessary to further investigate the
> missing-fonts-in-pdfs-if-built-with-gub bug.

Thanks for delving into this.

> 'make bootstrap' fails early because make 3.81 is broken at least for
> systems that use glibc 2.27. This problem can be fixed with the
> attached 0001-Fix-make-for-glibc-2.7.patch
>
> Later 'make bootstrap' fails again because glibc-core-2.3 does not
> accept gmake 4.*  A firsts attempt to fix this problem is
> 0001-Allow-glibc-core-to-be-compiled-with-gmake-4.x.patch, but after
> applying that patch 'make bootstrap' still fails:

[...]

>    *** Failed target: linux-x86::glibc-core
>    make: *** [compilers.make:44: cross-compilers] Error 1
>
> I could have a closer look at the segfault, but there is one question:
> Is there a special reason not to use the 'make' already built during
> 'make bootstrap'?

No idea.  Since Make does not actually generate code, one should in
theory be able to use it but it's probably a maintenance nightmare to
use some tools from the original set and some from the cross-compiling
set.  Could also cause library problems when versions diverge too much.

At any rate, if we need to update our bootstrap setup in order to be
able to continue using it on newer platforms, this is likely something
that is more apparent to new users of GUB since old users will be
reusing their already bootstrapped stuff and thus won't notice easily
when it would stop being compilable.

It may well be that GUB needs either more patches on top or newer base
versions to do its job.  It's one of the most obscure parts of getting
out LilyPond to the world.