Re: What's up with Grob_info::origin_contexts ?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: What's up with Grob_info::origin_contexts ?
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2018 21:20:38 +0200

Dan Eble <address@hidden> writes:

> On Jul 7, 2018, at 10:28, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> accesses to [0]) or should we just say "to heck with it" and throw out
>> all the stuff that apparently worked without ever needing
>> origin_contexts?
>
> Throw it out.  If there is something that needs to navigate the
> contexts, it shouldn’t have to involve Grob_info.
>
> origin_contexts reminds me of is_child_context (), which is strangely
> defined in music-iterator.cc.
>
> Was this something you were hoping to address yourself?  I’ve been
> neck-deep in Context code recently; I could take a closer look if
> you'd like.

I was actually trying to get a saner behavior of process_acknowledged
(which is currently called sort of in lightning storm frequency and
makes dealing with things like tweaks applied by the Tweaks_engraver at
Score level pretty hard).

Except that my attempts to sanitize that all crash.  In the process of
finding out what may be the reason for that I tried tracking down what
the origin_context thing is used for, and that was surreal.

Patch proposed.  There is something quite similar for Audio but I'll
leave that for later.

Still haven't made progress with my original problem.