Re: C++ standards

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: C++ standards
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2018 15:55:37 -0400

On Jul 6, 2018, at 04:40, Knut Petersen <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am 05.07.2018 um 20:02 schrieb David Kastrup:
>> What C++ standard should we be able to ask for?  I think that at the
>> current point of time, C++11 should be reasonably fine for the asking.
>
> GUB uses gcc 4.9.4, so C++11 is fully implemented. Some features of C++14 are
> not implemented in that old version of GCC.

It might be wise to set up GUB and LilyDev with a version of GCC with a
complete and bug-free (so far as is known) implementation of C++14, even if you
enable only C++11 for building LilyPond.

That would simplify experimentation when you eventually run into one of the
rough edges of C++11 and want to weigh enabling C++14 against committing a
convoluted workaround.
—
Dan