Re: Context_handle

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Context_handle
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 16:16:27 -0400

On Jul 8, 2018, at 14:11, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think it's for providing a definite point of time for running the
> finishing hooks of a context's iterators and making the context
> unavailable for \context ... [= ...] continuations.
>
> Garbage collection is not determinate.

I think I see.  If a reference-holder is expected to drop its reference at a
specific point, then if the reference is still held at the time of destruction,
it is a programming error.  Whether to reduce the reference count at
destruction or leave it permanently above zero is then just a question of
robustness given the failure of the reference-holder to follow protocol.
—
Dan