Re: Gvim point and click guide

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Gvim point and click guide
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 14:18:31 +1100

Hi Carl,

Some interlineated comments.

Should I just make this a tutorial on Scores of Beauty? But it seems very
integral to lilypond to me, and many people stumble over this.

Andrew

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 at 11:48, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2/26/19, 4:32 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Andrew Bernard"
> <address@hidden on behalf of
> address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     There's been a lot of long discussion about how to get gvim going with
>     point and click lately. I finally achieved this, but found the NR
> missing
>     important information, and to be ever so slightly in error. To that, I
>     wrote a fully fleshed out howto page on what to do. I posted it to the
> user
>     group, with not a sniff of interest. I believe what I wrote would be a
>     worthwhile contribution to the NR in this area.
>
>     How does one go about submitting this to the documentation team?
>
> Right now, there isn't a documentation team.  We're running very
> short-handed.
>

> I'd be willing to guide you to prepare a patch for submission, if you'd be
> willing to learn the steps.
>
> Happy to do so.

I'm not sure exactly how you envision this going into the documentation.
> You suggest the NR, but you don't say where in the NR.   All of the
> information I am aware of on configuring LilyPond with vim is found in the
> Usage manual, not the Notation Reference.  But your information is much
> more tutorial in form than is Usage.  So I'd like to hear where you think
> it should go.
>
> A slip of the keyboard. I mean the section in the Usage documentation.

It will be easier to get a patch approved if you can have it work within
> the existing framework, rather than trying to completely remake the
> framework.
>
> I never intended to change the framework, just looking for a way to slot
this in.

In reviewing your tutorial, I noticed that you have installed lilypond in
> your home directory, rather than in /usr/local.   That may be why you see
> the error message and others do not, but I am just guessing; I don't have
> an Ubuntu 18 setup.
>
> No, I am aware of that. By default the downloadable installs into $HOME,
does it not?

Thanks,