Re: macOS 64-bit

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: macOS 64-bit
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 19:13:31 +0200 (CEST)

>> And all users that don't use the two latest releases of MacOS (like
>> me) are out of the game, too.
>>
>> [Note that I'm not a MacOS user at all.  For daily work I'm
>>  exclusively using GNU/Linux.  It's just that I'm interested in
>>  providing support even on exotic platforms :-)]
>
> Since you’re not a Mac user, are you in any position to talk about
> what’s more usable on Mac OS *to experienced Mac users*?

Uh, oh, a smiley in the end seems not to be enough to mark irony...

Irrespective of that, Homebrew does not support macOS 10.7, so this is
not related to `experience' at all.

> If you’re not a Mac user, I suppose it makes sense that you’d prefer
> MacPorts: isn’t it more or less a BSD package manager?  The problem,
> though, is that it doesn’t fit the spirit of Mac OS very well.
> Homebrew does a *much* better job at playing nice with the rest of
> the OS, its CLI is pleasant, and it’s easy to create new packages.

I started with Homebrew, but since 10.7 is no longer supported I was
forced to abandon it.  By the way, it seems to me that your `hazy
recollections' are no longer valid, as far as I can tell.  Having used
both package managers I don't see an essential difference in the CLI
(except that Homebrew uses colours and the sexy beer emoji on the
command line).

> A lot of the natural users for LilyPond are composers.  Many of them
> are not very technical and won’t want to install a package manager
> when they can get MuseScore, Finale, Sibelius, or Noteflight without
> that extra step.  That’s one reason that I think it’s important to
> lower the bar to getting a binary as much as possible.

Agreed.

    Werner