Re: Updating makeinfo

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Updating makeinfo
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 16:15:40 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Werner LEMBERG" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 3:46 PM

I've not used my Ubuntu 14 lilypond computer for a while, and I'm
now trying to help update the example images on the website.  If I
run configure I'm being told my makeinfo is too old - I've got 5.2
and it requires 6.1.  I can't run the GUI updater because it just
tells me there's an update to Ubuntu 16 and if I don't upgrade, but
just click OK it exits.  If I run sudo apt-get install texinfo it
tells me I have the latest version.  If I download the texinfo 6.1
tarball, extract it, and run configure. make and make install it
does stuff, but makeinfo --version from my build directory still say
I have 5.2.

Anyone with any suggestions for getting and installing 6.1?

I guess you just have to prepend `/usr/local/bin' to your path.
Usually, you can do this in your `~/.bashrc' file.

Alternatively, assuming that you want a safe location for texinfo 6.1
that won't get accidentally deleted or overwritten, you could try the
following.

 sudo mkdir /opt

 cd texinfo-6.1
 ./configure --prefix=/opt ...
 make
 make install

 cd lilypond
 PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH ./configure ...
 PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH make doc

A bit odd. I checked my path following your advice and /usr/local/bin was already there. So I tried makeinfo --version again from my lilypond directory and this time it said version 6.1. So I re-ran configure and it was OK.

Guess the path statement was reread when the computer was idle.

--
Phil Holmes