Re: Updating makeinfo

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Updating makeinfo
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 17:21:28 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>> I've not used my Ubuntu 14 lilypond computer for a while, and I'm
>> now trying to help update the example images on the website.  If I
>> run configure I'm being told my makeinfo is too old - I've got 5.2
>> and it requires 6.1.  I can't run the GUI updater because it just
>> tells me there's an update to Ubuntu 16 and if I don't upgrade, but
>> just click OK it exits.  If I run sudo apt-get install texinfo it
>> tells me I have the latest version.  If I download the texinfo 6.1
>> tarball, extract it, and run configure. make and make install it
>> does stuff, but makeinfo --version from my build directory still say
>> I have 5.2.
>>
>> Anyone with any suggestions for getting and installing 6.1?
>
> I guess you just have to prepend `/usr/local/bin' to your path.
> Usually, you can do this in your `~/.bashrc' file.
>
> Alternatively, assuming that you want a safe location for texinfo 6.1
> that won't get accidentally deleted or overwritten, you could try the
> following.
>
>   sudo mkdir /opt
>
>   cd texinfo-6.1
>   ./configure --prefix=/opt ...
>   make
>   make install
>
>   cd lilypond
>   PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH ./configure ...
>   PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH make doc

I prefer to install stuff in conflict with system installations in a
separate directory of their own, say /opt/texinfo .

You do this by configuring TeXinfo with

./configure --prefix=/opt/texinfo

and then sudo make install will install underneath.  Then you need to
configure LilyPond with

MAKEINFO=/opt/texinfo/bin/makeinfo ./configure

and usually this should make the LilyPond build procedure fine for
working with this version of makeinfo.

I do the same for Guile-1.8, with the magic incantation making the Guile
installation known to LilyPond's configure is

GUILE_CONFIG=/opt/guile-1.8/bin/guile-config ./configure

since guile-config is used for teaching the build process everything
about how to locate Guile components.