Re: ottava signs

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: ottava signs
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 09:54:25 -0400

Hi Malte,

Love this initiative — my ottava markups are heavily tweaked (and hacked!) in
order to get something acceptable.

> I’m not sure how a easily changeable vertical alignment should be done best:
> The easiest solution I found would be to remove the line
> text.align_to (Y_AXIS, CENTER);
> from ottava-bracket.cc (line 179 in current master). This way using the
> \general-align or \vcenter markup function the alignment can be done while
> setting the ottavationMarkups. Only problem: \set-ting Staff.ottavation to a
> simple string or not explicitely aligned markup will lead to a bottom
> alignment instead of center and I don’t know whether it would be possible to
> write a convert-ly rule that covers such cases.
>
> Another solution would be a simple grob property for that alignment. First I
> thought one could simply use a direction like #UP, #CENTER, #DOWN but that
> would not cover cases of ottava bassa if you want f. e. top-aligned 8va and
> bottom-aligned 8ba.
>
> Any thoughts on that?

Can it be a pair? (#UP . #UP) for top-aligned +s and -s, (#DOWN . #DOWN) for
bottom-aligned +s and -s, and (#UP . #DOWN) for top-aligned +s and
bottom-aligned -s, etc. (Note: It seems overkill, to me, to support e.g. 8va
#UP and 15ma #DOWN, but that *would* be the most configurable…)

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info