Re: Regtest profiling differences

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Regtest profiling differences
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2020 16:15:13 +0100

Am Samstag, den 01.02.2020, 09:55 -0500 schrieb Dan Eble:
> I've noticed a subjective increase in profiling differences in regtests since
> updating to the latest master this morning
> (bc8a3fa7e4f12bf5ac1eb0293bfab658d52c4ae8), even from one run to another on
> unchanged code.
>
> There are also log differences that might be correlated, with some test cases
> having
>
> -
> -Writing timing to ./lily-run-total.profile...
> -Success: compilation successfully completed
>
> and others having
>
> +
> +Writing timing to ./lily-run-total.profile...
> +Success: compilation successfully completed
>
> I've only run regtests a couple of times so far, so I'm not sure how
> repeatable this is.  Were there recent changes that might contribute to this?
>  Nothing stands out to me in the headlines.

I fear this might be the switch to Python 3 (yay, finally there!). Due
to hash() not being stable across invocations, it's now more likely
that snippets are processed in a different order. The solution is to
use a real hash function (like md5), see
https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/5721/.

Unfortunately that change would not have worked with the previous
requirement of Python 2.4, so I could only post it today. I always got
some profiling differences since running 'make check' regularly, so I
didn't notice that it got significantly worse.
How distracting are the profiling differences for your work? I'm
obviously not a big fan of reverting bc8a3fa7e4, but I also don't want
to block anybody else from making progress.

Jonas