Re: Issue 5740: Add \post to defer context actions to end of time step (

From: hanwenn
Subject: Re: Issue 5740: Add \post to defer context actions to end of time step (issue 581600043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 01:28:19 -0800

I haven't looked in detail at the code, but I couldn't work out why you
want to add this, and that is probably the most important piece of
information to decide how to best go about implementing it.

>From a cursory reading, you want to set a context property at a specific
point in the engraver mechanics, is that right?  Could you add a couple
of situations where this is useful?

The description of the feature sounds very interlinked with details of
the engraving process, which makes it suspect as a user-level feature.
If we write a description of this in the manual, how many people will
there be that understand what the "end of time step" means? If this is
intended for advanced usage, shouldn't we rather think of a way to
expose this as a Scheme programming construct?

I'm also a little worried that this is making change to central places
(eg. global-context.cc), whereas I would expect a niche feature to only
make changes to niches in the code base.

https://codereview.appspot.com/581600043/