Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)

From: James
Subject: Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 10:47:17 +0100

Hello,

I am still struggling to understand the point of a COC for the LP project, other than some kind of ... what is the term ... virtue signalling or something that a project does *after* someone says something that happens to be offensive to someone else - which is just, life isn't it?

Really. What is the point?

Let's say we have a COC posted somewhere, then ... so what?

It doesn't stop me being an arse to someone, or them to me.
It doesn't stop me posting to the lists or even submitting patches.
It doesn't 'enforce' anything nor is it legally binding or has any kind of (real) consequence other than giving certain types of people a justification to impose their own sensitivities (or lack thereof) over the 'rest'.

What is the purpose? I don't get it.

All I can see that we've done here is waste (and I consider it a waste) time bikeshedding a document that just talks about 'how to be nice to people' and at the same time potentially worry one of our best developers because he might not happen to have all the social graces and just wants to 'get stuff done' but in doing so might offend someone with his terse emails.

Yes I have read the to me, empty discussion, but still have no idea what the point is.

---
Regards

James