Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 16:21:44 +0100

> Hi David,
>
>> The problem with an approach focused on punishment and expulsion is that
>> it helps isolating and eventually ostracizing bad actors, limiting the
>> total damage they may cause.
>
> "Limiting the total damage they may cause" is a "problem"? You
> definitely have me confused on that one.  ;)

No, the problem is that this solution to the problems of bad actors
addresses a problem that we do not have to a relevant degree.  At least
I hope we can agree that my intent is not doling out damage to the
project.

So a solution focused on punishment does not work.  Punishment makes
sense for deliberately committed acts.

A committee to complain to also does not help against the problem of
rapid devolvement that Janek mentioned since it is just too late.

We'd need a web page for a large enough set of developers/users to
warrant speedy response where they can click a "Cool down, David" button
that sents an automatic mail to me and blocks submissions from me to the
respective list and/or topic until I have manually acknowledged having
gotten the mail and/or at least an hour(?) has passed.

In other word: to apply to the elephant in our interaction room
effectively, the "enforcement" mechanism would need to be quite
different.