Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 18:01:10 +0100

Mike Solomon <address@hidden> writes:

>>> What does "implement" mean?
>>
>> Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant merge the PR.
>
>> Uh, words have meanings.  There would be no point of putting something
> into our documentation that we are not going to follow through with.
>
> By merging it, the idea would be that the first committee of 3 started
> acting as a CoC committee.
>
> What are the blockers to making a decision about this patch?

Consent?

> Does it need more discussion or more buy in?

As the change would affect all developers and, as far as I can discern,
also users on the LilyPond user list, it would require broad consent.
Most of the potentially affected persons have not even been notified of
the proposal.

> As I've been out of the community for so long, I no longer have a
> sense of when things are merged.

To be honest, I am irritated at what looks like bulldozering through
with a proposal that has the clear implications of removing the current
lead developer from the project eventually, in particular since there
are no other imminent problems it currently purports to solve.  The
proposal arrived today and you want to have it accepted within hours.

I think that this is not a time frame where other developers as well as
users can be expected to make and voice a qualified decision.