Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 03:46:12 +0100 (CET)

[Being on the return from Hawaii I'm late with everything, so please
 don't be surprised if I answer to stuff that has already been
 discussed to death.]

> The preamble and intent is one thing; adding a corrective committee
> with the authority to enact punishments based on anonymous reports
> is another.  It implements hierarchies and institutions exerting
> coercive power based on incomplete and secret information.  That is
> inherently an entity offering an opportunity for "pulling strings".
> I am not really a fan of constructs with a life and dynamics of
> their own.

Indeed.  Norbert Preining, one of the TeXLive maintainers (I know him
personally) and maintainer of TeXLive in Debian, was victim of exactly
such a process.[1] He got banned being a Debian developer, and it was
never explicitly explained to him why.

So what about having a CoC without the 'corrective committee'?  Up to
now this worked quite nicely.

    Werner

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2018/12/msg00032.html