Re: ’Pond Jobs & Their Descriptions

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: ’Pond Jobs & Their Descriptions
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2020 17:31:09 -0500

Hi Janek,

> I appreciate the initiative, and I agree that we could use a clearer view on
> the responsibilities and skills needed in the community. However, I am pretty
> sure that creating a detailed list is not an effective way of solving this
> problem. I'm pretty sure that we'd spend a *lot* of time on discussion and
> even if we agree on the results, it'll be even more work to implement the
> processes

What processes? I never suggested any processes be developed or implemented.

> and until it's ready there would be no tangible benefits

I don’t see that as a necessary condition of what I’m suggesting.

> Do you know about agile methodologies?

Yes. And in fact I’m trying to use them.  :)

> start with setting a small self-contained goal, complete it (with only basic
> planning), and when you're done you take step back to include what you've
> learned in the process.

That’s exactly what I’m doing.

> I suggest to ask this question: what are the 3 areas where LP community is
> most "shortstaffed"?

I’m curious how you’re going to answer that question without actually knowing
what the areas of the LP community are.

> Once we discover that, I would go on asking "what's the one thing that would
> make it easier/more attractive to contribute in that area". Boom, 2 weeks
> later we actually have some specific improvements.

Well, nothing is stopping you from doing that in parallel to my [personal]
effort.

> I'm willing to mentor, as I've committed to improving LP contributor
> experience

Just an FYI: I’m not going to even bother trying to set up any repositories or
LilyDev or anything development-related until the contributor experience and
toolchain is settled on. So the sooner you get that done, the sooner you can
mentor me in whatever the new processes and toolchains are.

Regards,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info