Re: ’Pond Jobs & Their Descriptions

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: ’Pond Jobs & Their Descriptions
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 09:04:19 -0500

Hi Jonas,

> certainly not a "Patch Formatter", that's part of the review process
> which is no job, every developer should participate.

The largest [commercial] programming project I was ever on had about 40
developers working on it. When I first joined, they put me on code formatting
[only] for two days, so I could get used to their workflow and toolchain (CVS,
etc.). Once I was comfortable with that, and them with me, they moved me to
error throw/catch work for a week. Only after that period of time did we both
feel like I could move on to full contribution to the codebase.

Obviously there are [big] differences between open-source projects and
commercial projects/jobs… but I personally think that my own way past the
significant "wall" of beginning Lilypond development is to start with something
as small as possible, and I’m betting there are others out there that feel the
same.

Best regards,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)