Re: ’Pond Jobs & Their Descriptions

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: ’Pond Jobs & Their Descriptions
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 07:58:34 +0100

Am Mittwoch, den 05.02.2020, 22:26 -0500 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
> Hi Graham,
>
> > Oh, that would definitely be a good idea!
>
> Okay, then! I’ll start with your suggestion to [paraphrasing:]
> "summarize the jobs described in the CG", and prepare a skeleton
> document where each entry is like that one.
>
> > (I'm not quite certain about the "Receives From" and "Passes To"
> > lines, as I think that implies a more formalized process than
> > LilyPond has
>
> Those would be more for understanding the flow of the process, and
> figuring out where combinations/elisions can happen (e.g., someone
> might have sufficient skill and interest to be both Patch Submitter
> and Patch Formatter), and where automation can help (e.g., code
> formatting LOL).

If I'm not mistaken such a list wouldn't/shouldn't imply that
separating jobs relies on assigning one job per person (wow, why do my
fingers insist typing "mob" instead of "job" this morning???)

It *might* be misleading someone to think your effort would go in that
direction of a strictly formalized working environment, but a) we don't
have so many people for so many jobs and b) of course many people can
do much more than one task of such a list.
But such a detailed "job description" would probably be very helpful
when thinking about a possible improvement/solution/patch: What do I
want, what is needed to achieve it, which parts can I do myself, for
what exactly do I need assistance?

Urs