Re: [RFC] Commit message format

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [RFC] Commit message format
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2020 12:32:25 +0100

Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on LilyPond development
<address@hidden> writes:

> For SHA1, I'd recommend using more than 6 chars to avoid collisions.
> The Linux kernel encourages 12 characters [1], but I think we are good
> with less. $ git log --oneline currently shows 10 chars for the
> LilyPond repo, that should be a safe bet.

It's probably a bit audacious to call the current minimum requirement of
characters a "safe bet" for all future.  That's why we just use full
SHA1 numbers in the issue tracker.  It's certainly overkill, but at
least it also kills the discussion of just where the overkill starts.

> 1:
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst#2-describe-your-changes

My replies have a tendency to cause friction.  To help mitigating
damage, feel free to forward problematic posts to me adding a subject
like "timeout 1d" (for a suggested timeout of 1 day) or "offensive".