Re: can a Scheme engraver "solve" Issue #34 (grace note bug)? [cross-pos

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: can a Scheme engraver "solve" Issue #34 (grace note bug)? [cross-posted]
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2020 12:41:48 +0100

> Hi David (et al.),
>
>> I don't think grace notes are usually synchronized optically.
>
> According to our recent "live-from-London" keynote speaker…  ;)
>
> … you are correct — in fact, in one example, she shows how grace
> groups [of different "sizes"] on two different staves can be
> compressed [to the right] to be closer to the principal note/beat,
> thus "ruining" any optical synchronization between the staves.

Frankly, my own take on what that means would not have been to abolish
grace time: it's still useful for identifying things.  But rather to
reduce NoteColumn/MusicalColumn sharing/alignment during grace time to
being just per-Staff, or possibly as option per-Voice.  That would
allow, for special cases, to still blow it up back to being per Score.

One thing I find irritating about grace time is what it does graphically
and in midi to an appoggiatura.  Those are usually supposed to come
on-time, have at _least_ the nominal duration and steal time from the
_next_ rather than the previous note.

My replies have a tendency to cause friction.  To help mitigating
damage, feel free to forward problematic posts to me adding a subject
like "timeout 1d" (for a suggested timeout of 1 day) or "offensive".