Re: Grow heap aggressively during music interpretation (issue 561390043

From: dak
Subject: Re: Grow heap aggressively during music interpretation (issue 561390043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2020 04:13:26 -0800

https://codereview.appspot.com/561390043/diff/567180043/lily/include/smobs.hh
File lily/include/smobs.hh (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/561390043/diff/567180043/lily/include/smobs.hh#newcode312
lily/include/smobs.hh:312: static size_t count;
On 2020/02/09 03:29:26, Dan Eble wrote:
> It seems that this is initialized to zero because it is static, but if
it simply
> had an "= 0", I wouldn't have had to go refresh my memory with a web
search.

> Is it correct that there are no static Smobs anywhere in the program?

Depends on what you call "Smob".  Protected_scm is a data type
_explicitly_ intended for static variables containing SCM values.  But
it must not contain anything but "immediate" values at program start
time since the memory protection machinery does not start until well
into main.

> If there
> were, it would be responsible to spend some time checking whether this
could be
> affected by the "static initialization order fiasco."  (Maybe you
already have.)

There was something where code was getting run by constructors inserting
into a static STL vector that had its own constructors not yet run.
Don't remember the details.  I think it was part of the motivation to
create Protected_scm .

https://codereview.appspot.com/561390043/