2.20 and 2.21 release plans

From: David Kastrup
Subject: 2.20 and 2.21 release plans
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 13:25:12 +0100

Ok, I think 2.20 is basically done and we should push it out by the end
of this week.  This leaves a few days for the translation team to catch
up with the current state.

In particular HINT HINT HINT it gives the opportunity to native speakers
of languages not as meticulously maintained as the currently most active
translations to at least tackle the Changes document and maybe check a
few other points of the web presence.  This is more addressed to people
reading this announcement on the lilypond-devel list than to lurkers on
the translations list, though of course the latter would be equally
welcome.

What does this mean for 2.21.0?  I think we should aim to push it out
fast afterwards, basically a few days later at most, just to get kinks
with webpage/versioning from 2.20 ironed out.

I am not sure it is realistic to expect to get the translations merged
into 2.21.0 already: because of the significant divergence experienced
so far, I expect this to be a significant merging headache.  It would be
nice to have, but not essential: this is the unstable branch after all.

For more extensive changes of internals and/or syntax, I would recommend
to let them sit till 2.21.1 before committing, assuming that we _do_
manage to get 2.21.0 out fast.  Why?  2.21.0 has by now quite
significantly diverged from 2.20.0.  If something does not quite work,
it would be nice to have a _released_ version to compare to, and nothing
but 2.21.0 would really serve that role satisfactorily.  Particularly
where problems are detected a long time after getting introduced, having
an installable version as a reference is nice, and "it stopped working
in 2.21.0" is enough of a quagmire already that we do not really want to
add a lot more here.

The size of the headache basically is commensurate with how long the
stable branch has diverged.  Hopefully we manage to find some
combination of process and responsible persons next time around that
delivers faster.

Nevertheless, I am glad we are getting there.