Re: Accept GUILE 2 without extra configure options (issue 569390043 by a

From: dak
Subject: Re: Accept GUILE 2 without extra configure options (issue 569390043 by address@hidden)
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 09:13:57 -0800

On 2020/02/21 17:03:07, hanwenn wrote:
> make baseline:
>
> 1.8:
> real  3m41.714s
> user  6m52.414s
> sys   0m36.662s
>
> 2.2:
> real  6m8.344s
> user  12m51.799s
> sys   0m34.875s
>
> I think this warrants some deeper look, though: I have the impression
that the
> lilypond-book regression tests aren't parallelized. They also suffer
from the
> higher start up costs (there are some 60 of them, so that's 90 seconds
right
> there).

I recently found some "could not contact jobserver" in the logs from
make and googling it suggested that this is a consequence of using
$(MAKE) rather than $$(MAKE) inside of macros (causing premature or too
much expansion?).  I have not investigated yet and don't know what
counts as "macro" here.  Or whether this is all nonsense.  Either way,
it should affect Guile-2 just as much as Guile-1.8, shouldn't it?

https://codereview.appspot.com/569390043/