Re: Add a cooperative FS lock to lilypond-book. (issue 555360043 by addr

From: hanwenn
Subject: Re: Add a cooperative FS lock to lilypond-book. (issue 555360043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 08:36:44 -0800

On 2020/02/23 16:29:20, dak wrote:
> On 2020/02/23 16:23:34, hanwenn wrote:
> > the
> > >
> > > Is there any indication that letting Make run multiple instances
of
> > > lilypond-book with every instance except one at a time locking up
is going
> > be
> > > a net win for performance?
> >
> > input/regression/lilypond-book:
> >
> > rm -rf out-tst; time make out=tst local-test -j4 CPU_COUNT=4
> >

> > before
> > real        1m16.588s
> >
> > after
> > real        0m25.224s
>
> So the idea is not as much to run parallel instances of lilypond-book
but rather
> let lilypond-book itself do the serialization.
>
> The net result will be that Make counts lilypond-book's use of 4 CPUs
as just a
> single CPU, so unless the parallel makes run into a locking instance
of
> lilypond-book, this will now result in a maximum of 7 jobs in
parallel, right?

Correct.

I have another separate plan, which is to do

 cat $(find -name '*.itely' -or '*.tely' | grep -v '(out|out-www)' ) >
concat.itely

and then have a special rule run that through lp-book as a whole. That
should also get rid of a bunch of inefficiencies.

https://codereview.appspot.com/555360043/