Re: Add a cooperative FS lock to lilypond-book. (issue 555360043 by addr

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Add a cooperative FS lock to lilypond-book. (issue 555360043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 08:59:24 +0100

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 11:09 PM <address@hidden> wrote:
> Another solution might be serialize only lilypond-book and let tex et
> al. run concurrently. That should also be harmless, right?

But this is exactly what this patch does.

I don't understand your objection. Serializing mechanism in the
makefile are obscure and hard to understand, because build systems
want to do as many things in parallel as possible.

A lock (a file lock, in this case) is the standard solution for
serializing concurrent access to a shared resource (a standard
problem). What is your objection against using a standard solution?

On a philosophical level, it is a lilypond-book implementation detail
that it can't deal with concurrent invocation, so the remediation for
this problem should be in lilypond-book too.