Re: [translations] Our language downloads are chaotic.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [translations] Our language downloads are chaotic.
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 21:49:36 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 4:17 PM David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anybody have a better idea than that?
>>
>> couldn't we rename the localized downloads as
>>
>>   notation_de.pdf
>>
>> and then link to them explicitly?

I think linking explicitly should always work (except possibly in
English, see below).

> We have in Documentation/web/server/lilypond.org.htaccess
>
> # Add extensions for language negotiation
> # See: https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-apache-lang-neg
> AddLanguage ca .ca
> AddLanguage cs .cs
> AddLanguage de .de
> AddLanguage es .es
> AddLanguage fr .fr
> AddLanguage hu .hu
> AddLanguage it .it
> AddLanguage ja .ja
> AddLanguage nl .nl
> AddLanguage pt .pt
> AddLanguage zh .zh
>
> so it's really up to us what kind of language translation we do.  I
> wonder whether adding
>
> DefaultLanguage en
>
> would improve or deteriorate matters.  It's not quite clear to me what
> would happen then.

Well, I don't think Apache will have a chance of distinguishing "I am
asking without language-specific extension because I explicitly want
English" from "I am asking without language-specific extension because I
want language-based selection", no matter what settings it has.

And we need to have a sensible offline-browsable behavior as well.

So I think we won't get around an .en suffix at least in the server
trees (rather than the offline ones) in the course of solving this
problem.