Re: Remove lily-git?

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Remove lily-git?
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 19:47:39 +0200

Hi,

Thank you all for your input.

Le 04/06/2020 à 13:54, Urs Liska a écrit :
Am Donnerstag, den 04.06.2020, 13:36 +0200 schrieb Jean Abou Samra:
I do agree with you that Git can be a bit of a trick to learn (at least,
there is a long path before you fully master it). What if right now we
just added a link to some Git graphical client like
https://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/?
SmartGit is a great Git client, but it is proprietary, so we can't link
to it (even provided they have a free (lowercase 'f') license for non-
commercial work).
Unfortunately I haven't yet found a Free GUI tool that made me feel
comfortable, so I've always got back to it.

Damned! You're right. Then let's not link to anything at all (yet).

It doesn't remove the complexity of Git (obviously that's quite more
involved than lily-git, the target not being the same), but at the
very least, you don't need to bother with a command-line interface.

lily-git is not going to be usable in an immediate future.
Anyway, if I had to write something, I would do it in Python as per
the abovementioned issue (now that recent versions of Python ship
with tkinter). And as we're still trying to figure out how exactly
we are going to work with GitLab, starting a new tool right now
doesn't look like a good idea. So, what I would propose at this point
is to drop lily-git.tcl, as it doesn't provide a value neither for a
user these days, nor for the people that could develop a new tool in
Python in the future; then, depending on how things go on, and if we feel
the need for it, write lily-git.py or whatever. Maybe we could open an
issue to track that. Makes sense?
To me, yes. But I don't think that is too relevant here.

Best
Urs

Based on the replies, I created

https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/123

(pipelines failed, I still need to investigate), and

https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/5997

Regards,
Jean Abou Samra