-Werror

From: Dan Eble
Subject: -Werror
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 07:50:06 -0400

Han-Wen proposed building with -Werror in a merge request.  What do you think?

I like -Werror, but I've only ever used it where there were very few (or one)
supported build environments, all of which were covered in CI.  A dimension of
the CI coverage was optimization level, which can change what the compiler
discovers.

We don't have that here, so we might regret turning warnings into errors all at
once.  How about we turn particular warnings into errors, starting with
narrowing conversions and printf formatting, and wait to see if anyone reports
problems?  (Am I being too conservative?)
—
Dan