Re: branching stable/2.22?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: branching stable/2.22?
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 19:07:58 +0200 (CEST)

>> > I don't see that in the current stage of upheaval of both
>> > internals and build system and infrastructure, there is a point
>> > in freezing off some half-baked intermediate state that hasn't
>> > seen significant exposure to extensive testing.
>>
>> +1  It's too early IMHO.  Let's wait at laest a month.
>
> To be clear here: You mean at least one month before starting a
> freeze?

Yes.  The build infrastructure is still not ok.  For example, if I
delete a PDF file, say, `notation.pdf`, right now it gets *not*
rebuilt!  Similarly, if I change a documentation string in an SCM file
like `define-markup-commands.scm`, the documentation doesn't get
rebuilt, either.  I consider this fundamental flaws.

> This is not my proposal anymore to just branch, but Han-Wen's idea of
> having a freeze of 3-4 weeks before branching.

For me, a freeze can only start if we agree that nothing fundamental
has to be changed or added.  IMHO, we are far away from such a state.

    Werner