Re: State of LilyPond with Guile 2.2

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: State of LilyPond with Guile 2.2
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 20:22:37 +0200

Am Sonntag, dem 11.04.2021 um 19:55 +0200 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:

> It is very unfortunate that more recent Guile versions cause such a
> serious deterioration for LilyPond.  Maybe it makes sense for the
> foreseeable future to stay with the status quo, this is, using Guile
> 1.8 as much as possible,

For reference: Ubuntu 16.04, the longest supported version to have a
package for Guile 1.8, will go EOL on April 30; Debian Jessie already
is dead since June 2020.

> and offering support for 2.x (or 3.x) for platforms where version 1.8
> can't be used.

The problem I see is that whatever is part of the official binaries
will get the most attention, or we risk giving users a configuration
that developers don't test regularly. Which means the other version
simply won't matter and carry on their own bugs.

Jonas