Re: State of LilyPond with Guile 2.2

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: State of LilyPond with Guile 2.2
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 13:50:29 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

>>> ... you were talking about advancing to Guile 2.x as the next step,
>>> and if I have understood your original e-mail correctly, this speed
>>> is only available with 3.x.
>>
>> Then please re-read the initial message *carefully*!
>
> I stand corrected.  Somehow I got the impression that compiled Scheme
> code is a 3.x thing only.  Obviously I'm getting old.

Guile-1.8 already compiles Scheme code.  Guile-2.0 has a virtual machine
and does byte compilation for that into separate files.  Guile-2.2 has a
different virtual machine.  I've not kept track of what happened since
then.  There may have been experiments with JIT compilation and/or
machine code but I don't really know.