Re: Obsolete labels

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Obsolete labels
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 12:21:01 +0200

Am Samstag, dem 26.06.2021 um 15:09 +0200 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld via
Discussions on LilyPond development:
> Hi all,
>
> while colorizing the labels (let me know what you think of the first
> stage!), I noticed that there are some obsolete ones that should be
> deleted:
>
>  * Task: I *think* this comes from "Type: Task" on SourceForge and
> never had issues.

Slight correction: there was indeed one issue, but it was unlabeled
some time ago: https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/830
-> gone

>  * Cant_verify: As we don't do verification anymore, I don't think
> there's much gain from labeling one open and two closed issues.

Closed the one open issue as suggested by James 11 months ago.
-> gone

>  * Frog: Does this still provide value?

-> gone

> Furthermore, the following labels have very few issues. I'd propose we
> delete them because having less labels will make it easier to find the
> right one:
>
>  * Encoding: one closed issue about BOM signatures, fixed in 2.15.10
>  * Dynamics: one open issue, title mentions dynamics
>  * Autochange: one open issue, "Enhancement: autochange improvements"
>  * Tablature: one open & one closed issue, titles mention tablatures

-> all gone

> Moreover, I find issues in Emmentaler, Font_handling and Glyph_handling
> very confusing: While Emmentaler seems like a rather recent invention
> of Werner and makes sense to me, Font_handling and Glyph_handling
> overlap and I'd actually label some of the issues as Emmentaler-
> related. I'd propose we merge these two labels, call it "Fonts", and
> put into the description that everything related to Emmentaler should
> go there.

I did some archeology here, and back on SourceForge they were called
"Font" and "Glyph" and both of them were used only for Emmentaler. The
labels were renamed in November, probably while creating the new one
for Emmentaler. That's exactly the reason why a bit more discussion
cannot hurt here, to not end up in a situation with three overlapping
labels.

So the new situation is as follows:
 * Emmentaler: basically all issues that were labeled "Font" or "Glyph"
on SourceForge, plus open ones that belong there
 * Font: support in LilyPond, including text fonts

> Lastly, I don't like "-Wconversion" because it starts with a hyphen and
> is very specific. Can we rename this to "Compiler warnings" or just re-
> label the issues and MRs into Build and / or Maintainability?

Renamed to "Compiler warning", re-assigned issues from "Warning", and
added a bunch of labels for merge requests.

> Once that's done, I'll try to distribute some category colors to the
> remaining labels, right now I'm a bit overwhelmed.

I put the same colors to:
 * Scripts: ABC2ly, MIDI2ly, MusicXML
 * "categories": Beaming, Build, Doc, Emmentaler, Font, Lyrics, MIDI,
Partcombine, Regtest, SVG, Spacing, Syntax, Translation, Website

I first though Ghostscript was another "category", but the four labeled
issues seem more related to infrastructure; any objections to deleting
it?
"Other" now seems similarly misplaced, do we need it?