Re: Cairo plans

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Cairo plans
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2021 13:41:12 +0200

Thomas Morley <thomasmorley65@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> some thoughts:
>
> A file like the attachment to
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-11/msg00757.html
> would be a bit more work to convert, I suppose, although I didn't try ...
>
> ps-code not causing skylines, etc may be a feature in some cases and
> not a problem, imho.

\with-outline and \with-dimensions-from make it easy to null any
dimensions in case something like a watermark is wanted.

> Regarding LSR, there are 20 snippets related to postscript. Thus we
> can expect \postscript is widely used out there.
>

> Thus, I'd not drop \postscript and friends without a ready-to-use and
> user-friendly replacement.

There is no point in dropping \postscript I would agree.  There is a
point in changing example code that does not need it, though, in order
to make the code more generally useful, particularly since many examples
are copied by users and/or used as templates.  There is no point in
making people depend on the PostScript backend unnecessarily.