Re: Question on commit c478396f Move all doc building logic to Documenta

From: John Wheeler
Subject: Re: Question on commit c478396f Move all doc building logic to Documentation/GNUmakefile
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 18:11:34 -0500

On 9/29/2021 3:35 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
John Wheeler <wheelerwjx9@runbox.com> writes:

Hello,

Would someone please help me understand the reasoning behind removing
the grammar from the Contributor's Guide?  Was there a licensing
issue?
It was more of a matter of it having become comparatively uninformative
due to lots of LilyPond functionality getting moved into music
functions, and music function parsing governed to a significant degree
by actions generating synthetic tokens in addition to rules of the
grammar, making large parts of the printed grammar (which only reflects
the rules) comparatively unsuitables for figuring out what music
constructs may or may not end up being valid.

So it was more of a point of "nobody uses this anyway" in connection
with "and good luck if they tried" I think.

Thank you to both you and Jean.

I must be the one exception to "nobody uses this", I appreciate the "good luck" wish.

I did wonder why the lexer state was so tightly linked to the parser.

Thanks again,

John Wheeler