Re: Shortcut for \repeat unfold

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Shortcut for \repeat unfold
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 11:06:39 +0200

Dan Eble <dan@lyric.works> writes:

>> On Sep 24, 2021, at 19:32, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
>>
>> - "\rep n music", not as self-telling (and I think Lukas
>>   only calls his shortcut \rep because redefining \repeat
>>   is not syntactically valid);
>
> What about killing two birds with two stones?
>
> 1. convert-ly \times A/B into \tuplet B/A

We do that already in the 2.17.11 conversion rule.  It remains mainly
for backward compatibility.  I think I remember that some people liked
it for some purpose, however.  Uses the same convention as
\scaleDurations or so.

> 2. times = \repeat unfold \etc

When I was just occasionally using LilyPond, at some time when \tuplet
did not exist, I tended to be fuzzy about \time, \times, \tempo .  I am
familiar enough these days that this is a mere anecdotal data point: I
have no idea how it would affect newcomers.