Re: Lyric extenders in/out of alternatives

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Lyric extenders in/out of alternatives
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 10:51:05 +0200

Am 05.10.21 um 01:41 schrieb Dan Eble:

I'd basically be interested in trying to understand the mechanics involved, but
seeing as term started today at our university, I'm sceptical I can spend
serious time on this before Christmas break. (And there's a fair chance it
would be above my head anyway.)
Volta_specced_music_iterator emits VoltaSpanEvents carrying i,j,k at the start
and end of \volta i,j,k {}.  I expect that Lyric_combine_music_iterator could
register for these events and use them to ignore notes that do not apply to the
volta of interest.
Thanks for that explanation, which goes on the heap of things I have to try to wrap my head around. :-)
You would want a way to indicate in the ly code that a span of lyrics should be
set to a specific volta of the music.  The existing stanza number feature seems
obvious, but it would be limiting.  (Examples: a partly through-composed
arrangement with 2 stanzas per volta; a transcription of stanzas 1, 5, and 9 of
a source in a situation where renumbering is undesirable)

Yes, I agree that StanzaNumber is not the right tool for this: This is presentation layer, and as I abuse this every day with (the German version of) stuff like \set Stanza = "C major:" - music theory teacher here :-) -, I'd be vary of adding any semantic meaning to the contents of the Stanza markup.

I am asking myself, "Why not use \volta for that?" and I don't have an answer
yet.

If I understand correctly, this would require writing \volta i,j,k { } in \lyricmode at precisely the "right" places in sync with the repeats/alternatives in the music. Is that right?

My gut feeling is that stanza-behaviour might be more of a persistent (changeable) property of a line of Lyrics: If unset, Lyrics ignore any \volta's they encounter in the associated voice. If set (to a volta number or a list of such), any voltas they encounter along the way would be skipped if the numbers don't match.

Feel free to ignore this if this obvious nonsense with respect to the inner workings.

Lukas