Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 07:45:30 -0500

Hi David,

> There is no either of those.  They are identical.  You cannot
> distinguish a 5-tuplet from a 10-tuplet in that representation.

Please explain why I need to, specifically in the context of a note-denominator
time signature — because it’s not at all clear to me that I need to.

> The problem is that there is no
> unique representation as a LilyPond duration for print forms
> representing 1/20th of a whole note

Please explain why there needs to be, specifically in the context of a
note-denominator time signature — because it’s not at all clear to me that
there needs to be.

> The problem is that handwaving looks great in discussions but does not
> deliver a definition useful for implementation.

Please explain why you think me saying I’ll accept (ly:make-duration 4 0 4/5)
as the input, specifically in the context of a note-denominator time signature,
is “handwaving” — because it’s not at all clear to me how that’s true.

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info