Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator

From: Flaming Hakama by Elaine
Subject: Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 23:28:21 -0800

So, are you claiming that this is a misquote?

[David K:]
> 8/20 does not specify more than the basic
> subdivision for expressing beats (not necessarily identical with the
> number of beats as signatures like 9/8 show)

The feature request is to render 9/8 with an 8th note instead of the
numeral 8 as the denominator.

The feature request is to render 8/20 with a 16th note quintuplet note
instead of the numeral 20 as the denominator.

Why is the subdivision of the measure relevant?

And how is the musical convention of 9/8 being 3 beats implied by the
expression 9/8?

> > I suppose Carl and my surprise (revelation?) is that Lilypond has
> > *never* handled time signatures correctly (where “correct” means
> > “according to the accepted definition of 'time signature'”).
>
> Nor has his ever handled durations correctly according to your
> definition of "duration".  Which means you should get a grip on what
> LilyPond calls a duration before proposing to use it.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

So, are you defending incorrect semantics?

The point is that the current implementation does not support the necessary
semantics.

So, you can whine about people not understanding how the implementation
works, but if you want to be helpful, instead, please try to help us
understand what the gap is so that others can work on figuring out how to
address it.

Until we know what's broken, we can't fix it.

Also, the notion that the level of complexity being proposed is somehow
problematic, seems misleading.

Based on the fact that the function can actually take either one or two
arguments, means that there is already some amount of logic based on
detecting argument types.

Suggesting that adding another such condition would be unfeasible is either
untrue, or it means that the current approach is not scalable and is more
of a hack.

Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "*Confusion is
highly underrated*"
elaine@flaminghakama.com
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist ~ Educator