Re: Could something be done about the way the list of MIDI instrument na

From: Michael Käppler
Subject: Re: Could something be done about the way the list of MIDI instrument names is presented?
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 14:05:09 +0100

Petře,
are you familiar with GitLab or do you have an account at least?
It would be nice if you could summarize your enhancement proposal and
add it to the issue tracker directly:
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues

Št'astný nový rok přeje
Michael

Am 31.12.2021 um 14:14 schrieb Petr Pařízek:
Hi all,

this list of MIDI instrument names would deserve some reformatting or
even rewriting.
I'm saying this as someone who has never read this before.
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/notation/midi-instruments

The following things are all true at the same time, which makes the
list hard to navigate with screen-reading software (i.e. when I can't
see the screen):
- the items are arranged vertically rather than horizontally,
- the table is stored as continuous text rather than a proper HTML table,
- there's no information about which instrument name corresponds to
which program number.

- Now suppose I want to find out what instrument name is used for the
MIDI program number 82 in the listings that go from 1 to 128 (or 81 in
those that go from 0 to 127).
- Or suppose I'd like to know the program number corresponding to te
MIDI instrument called "flute".

- If the items were either arranged horizontally or if they were
stored in a proper table (or both), then the program number would be
easy to figure out because:
1) if the items were stored in a proper table, I could use keystrokes
for moving up and down rather than left or right, so that I could
calculate the program number by first finding out how long one column
is and then calculating how many times I should multiply this number
to get as close as possible to the desired program number.
2) if they were arranged horizontally, I could still do it even
without proper tables, assuming that each line always contains the
same number of items, so that I could count how many lines I have to
go up or down to find the particular program number.

- Obviously, the absolutely best case would be if the items were
arranged horizontally, at the same time they would be presented as a
proper table, and at the same time the program numbers would be
included as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Petr