Re: Why is NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-system-details.extra-offset

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Why is NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-system-details.extra-offset "upside down"?
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 21:21:48 +0000

On 1/1/22, 2:05 PM, "Kieren MacMillan" <kieren@kierenmacmillan.info> wrote:

    Hi Carl,

    > I assume it is because the negative offset reduces the skyline of the
broken (following) system, which allows the spacing engine to raise that system.

    But extra-offset doesn't (or at least shouldn't) affect the spacing engine,
right?

extra-offset affects the position of grobs *relative to the staff containing
them*.  When the Y position of a grob is increased, it either has no affect on
the location of the staff, or it lowers the staff due to required spacing from
the staff above.  Since after-line-breaking is the bottom staff, a positive Y
extra-offset value should have no affect or lower the bottom staff, to be
consistent with positive Y extra-offset for every other grob on the staff, it
seems to me.

extra-offset doesn’t change the staff-staff spacing parameters, but it does
change the grob locations used in the staff-staff spacing calculations.

I think this is all consistent, but I could be wrong.

Carl