Re: Planning for 2.22.2

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Planning for 2.22.2
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 21:43:08 +0100

Le 10/01/2022 à 20:35, Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on LilyPond development a écrit :
Hi all,

there's a number of fixes stacking up in stable/2.22 (at least after I
processed the patches that I marked for backporting in the past months)
and I'd like to tentatively plan for the next bug fix release 2.22.2
some time in February. We could collect some bonus points by going for
the 22nd, but we'll see if and how that works out 😉

So please let me know if you have anything that you think would be good
to include and that I haven't backported yet. I hope wrote a comment on
all MRs that I cherry-picked commits from, and changed the milestones
of the corresponding issues, if there is one...

I would have liked to include some more balloon fixes, but already
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1071 doesn't
produce the expected results (no footnote on the MultiMeasureRestNumber
and \after is not available in 2.22 at all),

Right, I didn't realize that. I think it's a case
fixed by

commit 4f474c99d1f7afdec28a159bf1ccc99d619c7dc7
Author: Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr>
Date:   Mon Sep 20 21:11:37 2021 +0200

    Let get_bound default to host's bound for sticky spanners

    This solves all problems related to the host's right bound being unset
    at the point where the Spanner_tracking_engraver tries to pass it on to
    the attached sticky grob.  Since bounds can be set as late as in
    finalize, the Spanner_tracking_engraver is repurposed to only announce
    end, and the bounds are now handled by defaulting to the hosts' when they
    are retrieved.

    Closes #6158, #6159

but that one touches a core part of the code, so
I wouldn't advise backporting it. Also, !1071
is likely not to fix an actual problem if you
don't backport

commit ac703cc5b7d8c54650ac36677243799bf2772169
Author: Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr>
Date:   Tue Sep 21 00:39:57 2021 +0200

    Set X parent of sticky spanner to host

    In the next commit, the bounds of sticky spanners will no longer be set     explicitly, so they will no longer get an X parent automatically.  Give
    them their host as parent.  This is actually more likely to match
    expectations than the previous behavior of making the left bound X
    parent.

which is just the previous commit. All in all
a long story with lots of fixes interacting
in complex ways if you leave out some of them, so
I'd ultimately recommend not backporting any of that.

and the fix from
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1077 doesn't seem
to work either.

It will fix footnotes, but not balloons because you'd
most likely also need

commit 10e8952de0494a65323e9d9b2ecef129c7f7f8ca
Author: Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr>
Date:   Sat May 22 11:36:47 2021 +0200

    Fix balloons on grobs with empty pure Y extent

    This is done by introducing a new function, robust_relative_pure_y_extent,     which is the pure equivalent of robust_relative_extent.  When the extent     is empty, it returns a single-point interval rather than the empty interval.
    This is accurate for balloons, because they use robust_relative_extent
    in the unpure stencil.

    Closes #5306.

Wait, actually I see it in the stable/2.22 branch,
and if I backport d22f1bb88e manually, it seems
to work. Not sure how you've tested it?

At any rate, even if the spacing differences that
d22f1bb88e causes for glissandi where the Y endpoints have been
overridden explicitly are good-natured, they're a bit
more than we'd want to put in a point release I think.
Again, I would not recommend backporting this one.
No strong opinion here though.

Thanks for working on the release!

Jean