Re: [RFC] Uploading future binaries to GitLab

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: [RFC] Uploading future binaries to GitLab
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 10:34:08 +0100

On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 3:24 AM Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on
LilyPond development <lilypond-devel@gnu.org> wrote:
> I hope things are coming together for a "dual" release 2.23.6 using GUB
> and the infrastructure that I developed in the past months. For the
> final question, I'd like to propose that we upload the binaries to
> GitLab. I developed a small script which also adds direct links to the
> release, see https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1175
>
> Traditionally everything has been uploaded to lilypond.org and I
> believe we want to continue doing this for the source archives. For the
> binaries however, that are mostly downloaded by humans and not scripts,
> I think GitLab is equally good or bad (both are running on GCP), we can
> still directly link to the files, and I guess Han-Wen won't be too sad
> that he doesn't have to provide egress traffic for all the binaries.

A big +1 to all of this.

I don't care about the source archives, as downloading and building
from Git directly has become much more practical over the last years,
but they take up little space, so either way is fine.

--
Han-Wen Nienhuys - hanwenn@gmail.com - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen